Must See Museums and Galleries near Reading
“A collection that embraces the whole world allows you to consider the whole world.” ~Neil MacGregor. The museums have several stories to tell. They are merely waiting for you to uncover and explore them. So this time around, explore the best of the museums and galleries near Reading.
You can book short let apartments in Reading like Rainbows Lodge for a comfortable stay and get connected to all the tourist destinations. Even Reading Hospital is in close proximity in case there is some emergency.
5 Museums and Galleries near Reading That You Cannot Afford to Miss
Here is a list of fascinating museums that will entertain and enrich you:
- The Ure Museum of Greek Archeology: Unveil Greek mythology and lifestyle on vases and ceramics, for this museum houses one of the largest collections of Greek ceramics in Britain. You can make interesting discoveries of how Odysseus escaped the Cyclops cave and how the warriors used to dress up for the battles through amazing portraits. Get a glimpse of a small oil bottle which athletes in that era used to wear around their wrist to ward off the terrifying Gorgon Medusa. The excitement does not end here. You also get to witness Egyptian culture through incredible artefacts and a fascinating funerary boat, grave offerings, a freakish cat's head that has been mummified and collection of ancient jewellery.
- Museum of Reading: Get to know the history of Reading here and visit the prominent galleries. A gallery for People & Place documents the history of the place from its initial Saxon settlement till today, whereas the Bayeux gallery confines UK's only copy of the famous Bayeux Tapestry, while Huntley & Palmers Gallery explains the history of the biscuit-making industry that was once among the mainstays of the Reading economy. Go explore Reading like never before.
- REME Museum of Technology: It houses the Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) with lots of army related exhibitions and activities inside and out. The museum holds collections of the corps of the British Army responsible for the maintenance, servicing and inspection of electrical and mechanical equipment. So go check out the army reserve, REME training Battalions and their special vehicles and aircrafts.
- Pendon Indoor Model Village and Railways: Visiting this place is like going for time travel. It brings back to you the English countryside of the 1920s and 30s. It exhibits the extremely realistic models of the landscape and trains of the period and how they were operated and have evolved over a period of time, like the one at Reading Station.
- Milestone Living history museum: It demonstrates over 20,000 objects either made or used in Hampshire, and has a record of the county's industrial, social and transport history. You can turn back the hands of time and experience walking in the street of the 1800s and 1900s, with quaint shops, garages, factories, houses and vintage vehicles. Do experience the Romany encampment and a Victorian showground and of course the Baverstoke Asrms working pub.
These museums are sure to offer you an incredible and unforgettable experience of travelling in a time machine to an unseen era. You can plan your trip in such a way that you can also visit Green Park Reading, Reading University, Oracle Business Park near the Oracle Shopping Centre so that you get a fair idea of the different style of architecture and also about the lifestyle of the city.
MONEY & COSTS